Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Quick Draw Photog

My PET scan was negative, which means it showed no cancerous activity, which is great news. They didn't do a blood test today, so everyone is assuming my immune system is good. The doctor said I looked great, so my immune system must be good. I've been feeling good, so we'll run with it. Although she said it could actually take a year for my immune system to fully recover, so I still have to be really careful not to get sick.

On the way home tonight I passed a low rider VW thing on I-25, slowed down, and had to do a quick photo before other cars blocked it — traffic was still pretty heavy at 6:15 PM. My quick draw photog skills are getting better!


While Laurie was studying her math, she came across the Tits Theorem. I googled it and found several references. The best was a paper by Jason Castiglione, University of Virginia Algebra Seminar, November 16, 2005 titled "A Simplicity Theorem for Tits Systems and General Introduction to Buildings" His introduction states:

”The origins of the notions buildings and BN-pairs lies in an attempt to give a systematic procedure for the geometric interpretation of the semi-simple Lie Groups, in particular the exceptional groups” J. Tits 1968.

"So our goal is to cook up some geometrical object such that our groups of interest will act ”really nice” on this object."

I don't know how people could find pure, abstract math boring — with LaTeX and Tits Theorem what more could one ask for?

Rosencrantz was acting cute while laying on my lap, so of course, I had to get a photo. One of the pink roses in our new bouquet was begging to be photographed as well.




3 comments:

  1. I'm not sure what this Tits Theorem is all about, but I have one of my own ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe we all have our own theories. les grands tetons theorey. Il teorema di tette grande. teorema grande de tetas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds right though.......what he said! Called Jayne Mansfield Transfer Thought Invective.

    ReplyDelete