Saturday, January 1, 2011

Scarfed Faucet

Zero! That was the temperature at 00:00 when 2010 turned to 2011. Zero is a good place to start the new year, to rebuild our heath and get back to normal. 

The low was -2ยบ F this morning at 7:00 am — too cold to do much more that crawl back into bed and snuggle with the kitties.  Once we managed to get up and face the cold (the house was so cold this morning that I got a blast of warm air when I opened the refrigerator), we resumed our reorganizing projects and actually got the kitchen and armory reorganized, cleaned up and back into use.

Laurie prepared black eyed peas and green chile cheese cornbread for dinner. Eating black eyed peas on New Years day is a Southern tradition to give you good luck for the new year.  I was reminded that in Spain they eat a grape with every stroke of the bell at midnight, and I've heard that the Russians drink twelve shots of vodka at midnight on December 31st. I don't know if that's a tradition, or even true, but I wouldn't doubt there are people who make it a tradition to down 12 shots of liquor at midnight to start the new year, or just for the heck of it.

While gathering up ingredients for the corn bread, Laurie found a container of yogurt that had probably been in the back of the fridge for several months. It had a great culture of mold growing on it with the shape, texture and colors of a virtual landscape. Folded valleys, undulating hills and colorful tributaries clung to the sides of the container, like a formation in a cavern.

While out checking water pipes to see how they faired the sub-zero temperatures, one faucet was wearing a scarf to keep out the cold. "How funny", I thought to myself as I stood there with my head bare, no gloves, thin trousers and a sweatshirt photographing the faucet, "that faucet has more sense than I do!"



No comments:

Post a Comment