Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Linux for the Masses


While I was reorganizing the armory over break to make room for the freezer, I found some "Computer Scene" magazines from February 2000. "Why did I save these, besides the cover reads 'LINUX for the MASSES'?" I asked myself. I opened one to the contents page, and the first article listed under "Features" was "Linux and the Open Source Movement" by Timothy Price with a synopsis that read "Linux began life as a program written to help solve an engineering problem. It has grown into an OS many think will eventually compete with Microsoft."  Wow! I had completely forgotten about writing that article. What an interesting find to distract me from my work.

So 10 years after I penned an article predicting Linux would one day compete with Microsoft and become an OS for the masses, I started to think about how Linux has done over the past 10 years. While Linux hasn't become a huge competitor to Microsoft in the world of desktop computers, it has far outstripped Microsoft in the world of mobile devices, such as smartphones, and has a larger share of the server market, as well. Linux currently holds about a third of the mainframe market, and is now the numero uno OS running supercomputers at 91%. 

While Linux hasn't taken hold on desktop computers, its open nature and ability to pack a lot of power and features in a very small footprint made it ideal for mobile devices. With the number of mobile devices on the market, it looks like Linux has truly become an OS for the masses.

Since I didn't have a photo of a penguin to honor Linux, Stretch did his impersonation of a penguin in brown ice for me. Stretch is such a clever kitty, and always looking out for me, ready to help when I need a photo.

2 comments:

  1. He does a sleepily passing job impersonating Tux... black and white he does well... Personally, I think you understate the momentum Linux has, Tim... FWIW I see that the biggest processor maker in the world has a whole division in which Microsoft has zero traction. ZERO. They haven't figured out which Linux is going to win, but... all four contenders are Linux variants. And multiple products are already shipping 6-figure units... based on Linux.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Don. I suspected the Linux momentum was greater, but since I haven't kept up on the very latest for awhile, I could only state what I know.

    I'm reviving a couple of old IBM ThinkPads with Windows to take to training on a new application the State got for keeping track of facility data. The app requires Windows, IE 7 or higher and that we turn off most of the security features in Windows. I'm like "get over it already!" There is no need to require Windows for Internet apps. I think it simply laziness on the part of developers.

    It's frustrating when we are forced to use Windows. We only have one PC running Windows in the office now (we run Windows in virtual environments on some of our Macs), so now I'll either have to dedicate that one Dell to the facilities app, or dig out one of the PCs I have in salvage. Grrrr!

    ReplyDelete